Posts Tagged ‘boxes’

We are working on the repair and remodel of an actual 4-square cottage from the early 1900s!

floorplan image

Read Full Post »

I finally had a chance to take a few photos of one of our most recent treasure chests. We made this one for Kavi out of maple and a painted poplar top. The hinges are special soft close hinges to protect his small fingers. The paint is my favorite Bioshield Aqua Resin Trim Enamel. I had to use a bit of a different paint for the dark brown part.

Here is a picture of Kavi and his box

Read Full Post »

This prototype is solid 1.125″ thick poplar. It also has box joint corners and a piano hinge.

I am using my old artist oils for this decorative paint job. I went to the art store for a new paintbrush and noticed that they now sell “water- mixable” oil paints. I am curious how those work.

Read Full Post »

Back of the napkin sketch – prototype 3

Read Full Post »

I just finished prototype treasure chest #2, using up more of my wood shop scraps.

It has a heavy Richlite lid and a piano hinge

Perfect for storing gold bullion or underwear and socks.

Read Full Post »

Prototype #1 is finished with a bit of pyrography – a prehistoric winged creature.

Apologies to customers waiting for treasure chests, this one has become my toilet paper storage box.  As you can see there are many uses for such a chest.  Soon we will have prototype #2 underway.

treasure chest post 1

treasure chest post 2

treasure chest post 3

more photos of the bathroom 

Read Full Post »

I’ve made progress on the prototype. The lid is installed. I fashioned a hinge out of retired spectra running rigging from the 5o5 Bar-ba-loot (pictured below). The hinge needs a little fine-tuning, but I like the Xs. I handcarved the curves in the lid.  Nice soft fir makes for easy carving.

Treasure chest Post 1 Treasure chest post 2

Read Full Post »

After gluing the box together, it needed some sanding.


The  lid is made from two fir 2×6 scraps and a redwood 2×4 scrap that John brought home from his job site.  Better than average specimens, with fairly straight, tight grain; they are probably from appearance grade stock.   I did not have a planer on hand, but they were pretty straight and flat.  I used my new jointer to make edges flat and perpendicular to the faces. I also used the jointer to clean up the faces. (This is usually accomplished by a planer) Then I glued and clamped them together as shown in this photo.


Read Full Post »

Box corner jig

gluing up the prototype with box corners

Read Full Post »