Two fine artists in Alameda own this lovely garden and fence. Not overly concerned about security, they made the round cutout in the yellow gate for easy access to the latch
Archive for the ‘Design Projects’ Category
Progress! This is a whole house inside and out remodel in North Berkeley. Stay tuned for more pictures as it comes together over the next few weeks.
This 1972 budget modern house needed a tune-up. In the process of replacing the windows & siding, adding insulation, replacing the double level deck, and adding exterior window shades and a bright red-orange awning on the NW & SW sides, we also rearranged things and made the floor plan work better. That was the most satisfying part of the project, but it is hard to show it in photographs. Type “Navellier” in the search box to the right for photos of the process.
Here are some photos after construction:
Matt has the trellis underway (on the left building.) He plans to train a rose to grow on the redwood slats. Mavis and Atticus try sitting on the covered porch in the evening light.
Willella Elizabeth McBride will be helping out on future deedsdesign projects. She has an uncanny intuition for good design. Her particular interests are good southern exposure, the best flooring materials for playing, and acoustics for enhancing baby’s cries.
This new remodel project in Berkeley is underway. They are doing a full house remodel and are smart to make sure that the exterior envelope is in good shape. In our climate these zero overhang stucco houses with old fashioned stucco details (stucco all the way to dirt and no weep screed) often have a lot of rot hidden behind the stucco. You can see some of it in the photos below. The next step will be to remove all the old sheathing and check the studs for rot. After repairing any rotten framing, the contractor will add new plywood sheathing and replace all the windows with modern double glazed models.
We moved some walls and added some windows and took away a door and moved the kitchen to the other side of the house and added a bathroom and opened up the space a bit. We also upgraded the heating, hot water, ventilation systems and the electrical and lighting. The before shots don’t look anything like these almost finished shots, but you’ll just have to believe me. The layout changed so dramatically that they are not really relevant. Hopefully I’ll have some professional photos when its really finished! This post shows the project at an earlier stage.
I finally had a chance to take a few photos of one of our most recent treasure chests. We made this one for Kavi out of maple and a painted poplar top. The hinges are special soft close hinges to protect his small fingers. The paint is my favorite Bioshield Aqua Resin Trim Enamel. I had to use a bit of a different paint for the dark brown part.
Here is a picture of Kavi and his box
I just stopped by to have a peek at this almost finished project near Tilden Park. The owner still needs to finish moving in, but you can get an idea despite the blank walls.
Canivet Construction is the builder.